Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Automotive Work

Well between factory work, volunteer railroad work, housework (both maintainance and domestic) and yardwork I finally found and took the time to perform some much needed repairs on my truck. After literally months of procrastinating I finally removed my old gas tank, which had succumbed to rust, and replaced it with a pristine one sold to me by my friend Bill's wife Jennifer (who is one of the biggest motorheads I've ever met!). Of course, as you probaly guessed, this turned into a much bigger and longer project than it should've been, but the new tank is now solidly mounted and ready to recieve fuel (which is blessedly a lot less expensive than it was!)
In addition to the fuel leak my transmission also leaks. This perticular leak is entirely my fault; it formed after dropping the pan to attempt to fix a problem which turned out to be nothing but a clogged vacuum line; OUTSIDE of the transmission I might add! For the moment I am going to try just re-torquing the bolts (which were loose again), as dropping the pan involvs dumping $25 worth of AT fluid, and is a VERY messy job! If this doesn't work (which frankly I am expecting it won't), I plan on dropping the pan and reinstalling it using red RTV silicone in lieu of "high tack" which I used last time to seal the gasket.
Of course the truck still needs new tires, but this can wait for a little while at least. Not only do I need the truck to haul coal and for my volunteer job, but I am also (understandably) anxious to drive a vehicle with over 250 horsepower again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it went well. The transmission project sounds complicated, but then I really don't know what you're talking about! ~Mom